Larry Coryell's Jazz Guitar Volume 2 composed by Larry Coryell. For Guitar (Flatpicking). Boxed, Methods. Grossman Guitar Workshop. Jazz. Intermediate. DVD. Duration 70 minutes. Published by Grossman's Guitar Workshop (MB.GW950DVD).
Larry Coryell's Jazz Guitar three part DVD series presents an intense and challenging study of jazz guitar ideas. In this second volume the following subjects are discussed:
- Creating the improvised line.
- Substitute chords.
- Importance of the minor/major 7th sound.
- The jazz (ascending melodic) minor scale and related chords.
- How to apply the jazz minor scale to standards.
- Repositioning altered chords to fit single-note fingering options within the jazz minor spectrum.
- Vocabulary of the improvised line.
- Blues phrasing to a more sophisticated bebop-type of line.
- Guitaristic devices that advance the music, i.e. string-bending, octaves and fingering.
- How to play/improvise on, "Autumn Leaves", as a solo guitar performance or within a small group context.
- More involved chords and improvisation with John Coltrane's, "Moments's Notice".
A detailed tab/music instructional booklet is included as a PDF file on the DVD.