Old-Time Fiddle Style (A Collection of 35 Traditional Appalachian Tunes). Composed by Ken Kolodner. For Fiddle. Saddle-stitched, Songbook. Old Time. Multiple Levels. Book/CD Set. 60 pages. Published by Mel Bay Publications, Inc (MB.21992BCD).
ISBN 9780786681570. Old Time. 8.75 x 11.75 inches.
Ken Kolodner's book presents transcriptions with detailed bowings in tandem with three recorded versions of 35 Appalachian fiddle tunes ranging from some very common and easy tunes (for more beginning players) but also quite a few less typically played tunes. All transcriptions are based on "festival" versions of the tunes, meaning the versions are those most commonly encountered at jams and festivals. The book includes a clearly written description of old time style focusing on "default" bowing systems designed to develop rhythmic bowing. Ideas presented include Nashville shuffle, 3-1 bowing, bow rocking, ghost bows, anticipations, left-hand ornamentation, drones, chording, dissonances, altered tunings, the concept of swing, tips on learning by ear and more.
The tunes are played three times each for nearly 150 minutes of recording: (1.) very slowly and simply; (2.) at a modest tempo and but with double-stops, drones and other ornaments; and (3.) up-to-tempo. While this effort was designed for fiddlers, the recordings should serve as an excellent source for non-fiddlers at all levels who desire to build their repertoire and practice learning tunes by ear. The book and accompanying MP3 disc are appropriate for any level of player. The difficulty of the tunes ranges from simple to relatively complex. Similarly, the bowing techniques include the simplest ideas to relatively difficult. The three recorded speeds make the learning and processing of the tunes appropriate for all levels of players wishing to improve their ear training.
* Simple and highly accessible transcriptions with detailed bowings of 35 "estival" versions of Appalachian fiddle tunes
* All tunes are recorded three times to accommodate players at all levels of experience
* Includes comprehensive and practical discussion of old-time bowings and style and how to learn by ear
* Strong focus on developing "default" bowings to get the characteristic groove of old-time
* Designed for all levels of players and non-fiddlers who desire to improve their learning by ear and/or increase their repertoire.