A beginning/intermediate guide to hearing the chord changes. Composed by Roberta Radley. This edition: spiral-bound. Instructional. Method book & 2 CDs. 164 pages. Published by Sher Music Company (SR.REETB).
Item Number: SR.REETB
ISBN 9781883217617. 8.5" x 11" inches.
All great musicians have one thing in common - to a great extent, they know what the harmony is as the chords of songs go by. Do you? If not, here's a practical guide to get you up to speed! For all musicians, regardless of instrument or experience, this is the most comprehensive book on hearing the changes ever published! Using musical examples that reflect all contemporary genres (pop, rock, Latin, fusion, jazz, etc.), emphasis is placed on making ear training real, as Prof. Radley shows how to apply the harmonic ear training studies in the book to your own musical needs. Covers both beginning and intermediate ear training exercises. Trusting your ear can be challenging. However, doing so provides great personal satisfaction and self-confidence. So what steps does this book take toward trusting your ear?
Step by step, you will learn how to:
- hear the bass line (the harmony's foundation) in the major key
- gradually add major and minor diatonic triads
- investigate how the melody provides harmonic clues for determining the chord changes
- continue with seventh chord recognition
- explore minor key harmony
- and conclude with hearing some common non-diatonic chord patterns.
- using practice routines based on hundreds of dictation and transcription exercises
- playing, singing, memorizing and transposing the chord progressions of songs
- composing and arranging your own music based on familiar chord patterns given in the book
- additionally, more than 150 songs are referenced throughout the book for real practice!
Music Teachers! You will find this book invaluable in teaching ear training to your students - as a stand-alone course, or in conjunction with your current ear training methods.